Average Weekly Cost: ?
Our Roots--In the summer of 1972, the English Language and American Studies Program began at Fresno State for fifteen Japanese students from the International Language Services in Japan. Five years later, this program became the American English Institute (AEI) under the direction of Graham Thurgood from the Linguistics Department. Over the years, over 6,500 student from nearly seventy-five countries have received quality English language instruction at the AEI.
The American English Institute (AEI), located on the beautiful campus of California State University, Fresno, "Fresno State," has offered a non-credit intensive English program for international students since 1972. The AEI program is operated through the California State University, Fresno Foundation and is under the umbrella of Continuing and Global Education. The AEI is a member of the American Association of Intensive English Programs (AAIEP).
The AEI has two primary missions:
1) to offer intensive English instruction for international students preparing for studies at California State University, Fresno, or at another college or university in the United States
2) to provide teacher training for students in the Linguistics Department at California State University, Fresno, who are preparing for a career in teaching English as a Second Language.
The AEI offers a minimum of 20 hours per week of English instruction at the low-intermediate to advanced levels. All levels of instruction offer the most modern teaching methods, including the use of a Computer-Assisted-Language-Learning (CALL) Lab. The subjects and weekly class hours are as follows:
• Writing: 5 hours per week
• Grammar: 3 hours per week
• Reading/Vocabulary: 5 hours per week
• Listening/Speaking: 5 hours per week
• American Experience (elective): 2 hours per week
• TOEFL Reading (elective): 2 hours per week*
• GMAT Preparation (elective): 5 hours per week*
• Computer Lab (optional)
*TOEFL preparation is integrated into the core classes (Writing, Grammar, Reading/Vocabulary, and Listening/Speaking).
*The GMAT Preparation course is only available to students who place in the advance level.
Part of the California State University sytem
Here are what some people who used American Exchange Institute said about their experiences. Their average rating across all categories is /5.