Average Weekly Cost: ?
You want to learn French but don’t want to stay in a classroom all day long?
You want to discover French culture through fun visits and original activities?
You want to enjoy the worriless aspects of organized holidays but however, you want it to be intimate and cosy so you can exchange with the other participants and the teacher?
Then, French Window is the French language educational travel you need!
French Window is a new concept French language centre in Nantes, a cosmopolitan city close to the Atlantic Coast in western France, and located on the Loire River. Located only 2 hours away from Paris by train, Nantes is the 6th largest city in France, regularly ranked as the best city in France for its excellent quality of life.
Voted in 2004 “the most livable city in Europe” by Time Magazine, and awarded in 2013 as “European Green Capital”, it is a very attractive city of Art and History that offers a surprising and fascinating journey.
We are a language center but not a school per se. Our focus is to make learners live real life situations rather than studying in a classroom all day. Like our motto says, “the best way to learn a language is to live it!”
Our goal is for you to live like French people do, through activities and visits. Each of them will take place either in Nantes or its beautiful region, and will include a short daily French lesson.
Our concept is a real alternative to standard language courses and is based on an interactive way of learning French ‘outdoors’ by meeting locals during workshops, visits, games…
We provide short, thematic French language study courses from beginner to advanced levels for adults and teenagers focusing on the art of living, gastronomy, heritage and culture. The various themes depend on the levels (beginners, intermediate, advanced) and the time of year. The groups being small (up to 8 people), the atmosphere is authentic, convivial and informal. The teacher is always present to give you extra support and help you feel more confident.
The package includes 15h/week French courses on topics, 15h/week practical workshops and cultural visits (all tickets and guided tours included), unlimited local transport, course materials, full and personalized support from the teacher.
Located in the heart of Nantes’ historic centre, the school is a prime location to enjoy the city. Tramway and bus stops are just nearby, as well as the train station, and the airport is only 10km (6mi) away. It is located in a modern building, right next to the well-known LU tower, an emblem of the city. The classrooms are well-equipped and welcoming, with a beautiful view on the medieval castle of the Dukes of Brittany and the gothic Cathedral.
- French Way of Life - 2 weeks - False beginners/Pre-Intermediate
This program will help you get familiar with French culture and way of life thanks to many games and activities on various daily situations (such as transportation, accommodation, food and shopping).
• Guided Tour of Nantes through public transportation
• Cycling through the Isle of Nantes
• Visit of the football stadium
• Trip to the local market + Cooking class with a French chef
- Discovery (2 weeks) False beginners/Pre-Intermediate (A1/A2) Family-friendly ;-) Summer programme
This program will take you through the cultural heritage and natural environment of the Loire region thanks to various shows and attractions on history and traditions.
• Guided Tour of Nantes
• Animal Theme Park about myths and legends including shows
• Rail bike in the countryside
• Guided Tours of two charming fishing villages
• Treasure hunt in the vineyard
• Puy du Fou history park and shows - awarded “World best theme park” in 2014
- Christmas – (1 week) – Pre-Intermediate/Intermediate - A2/B1- Family-friendly
This program will make you experience traditional French Christmas, from food to decorations and songs!
• Typical Christmas market
• Cooking class with a French chef
• Chocolate tasting at the chocolate museum
• Guided tour of the decorated shop windows of the city centre
• Visit of Santa’s house at the animal theme park
- Valentine's Day - 1 week – Pre-Intermediate/Intermediate - A2/B1- “Couples special” or “Ladies Special”
This program will make you fall in love with the charming and romantic region at first sight.
• Guided Tour “Nantes and its love stories”
• Floral Art workshop (creation offered)
• Romantic river cruise
• Cosmetics workshop at an organic flower garden (products created offered)
• Horse-carriage ride in the marshes
• Visit of the chocolate museum (tasting included) & Chocolate workshop (chocolate bar created offered)
• Sweet cooking class with a French Chef
• Love poems writing workshop in a romantic scenery + Wine tasting and meeting of a local Muscadet producer
- Craft and Shopping - 1 week – Pre-Intermediate/Intermediate - A2/B1
This program will allow you to enjoy the sales in France and learn how to shop efficiently whether it's in a fashion boutique or an arts and crafts market!
• Guided Tour “Nantes and its beautiful shopping streets and boutiques”
• Sewing workshop in a cosy and cheesy little craft shop downtown
• Visit of a pottery in Pornic (traditional hand painted Breton bowl) + Decoration workshop of a Breton bowl
• Glass-blower demonstration
• Roleplays and games in shops and markets
- Gastronomy and Oenology – 2 weeks - Intermediate/Upper-Intermediate – B1/B2
This program will take you around the Nantes region, from the Atlantic Ocean to the Loire River and will focus on its culinary heritage!
• Guided Tour “Nantes & the love of good food”
• Visit of a traditional biscuit factory (including tasting) & a chocolate factory (including museum & tasting)
• Baking & traditional cooking class with a French chef
• Guided Tour of the salted marshes of Guérande “Caramel & flower sea salt”
• Visit of a snail farm (including tasting)
• Wine & culinary cruise on the Loire river with a professional fisherman
• Day at the chateau: visit of the vineyard, wine tasting, treasure hunt (including lunch)
• Visit of a small traditional cheese factory
• Visit of an old-fashioned confectionary manufacturer
- Cinema – 1 week – Intermediate/Upper-Intermediate - B1/B2
This program will emphasize on the cinematographic heritage of Nantes and will put you in the shoes of a film-maker.
• Guided Tour “Nantes & Jacques Demy”
• Beach trail « In the footsteps of Mr Hulot” (J.Tati)
• Writing workshop and film studies
• History of the first projection rooms
• Video workshop: storytelling, scenario writing and shooting
- Nature and Heritage – 2 weeks - Upper-Intermediate/Advanced – B2/C1
This program will introduce you to ten centuries of history in the Loire region, its traditions and its diversity of landscapes.
• Visit of the salt marshes with a salt worker
• Small barge and horse-drawn carriage rides in the marshes
• River cruise and writing workshop
• Meeting of a local winemaker (including Muscadet tasting)
• Ocean liner experience in Saint-Nazaire (including shipyard visit)
• Ten GUIDED TOURS focusing on history (from Middle Age to Modern Age), Art and architecture
- Jules Verne – 1 week – Intermediate/Advanced – B2/C1
This program will make you live an extraordinary journey in the universe of Jules Verne!
• Guided Tour “Nantes & Jules Verne”
• Visit of Jules Verne Museum : writing & illustration workshops
• Sailing Tour on a traditional Ketch sailing ship OR Planetarium
• Visit of the “Gallery of Machines”: Ride on the Giant Elephant and Sea Worlds Car
Cultural visits and activities are included in the programs.
However you will be free on evenings and weekends to make your own experiences, attend cultural events and enjoy your free time. You will be able to mingle with the locals and enjoy Nantes’ markets, cafés, shops, museums, art galleries, parks and gardens....
French Window can provide furnished studio apartments with our partner residences with which we have negotiated special prices.
The residences are located close to the school, the city center, local amenities and public transportation. They offer a fully-equipped kitchen, an office area, free Internet, laundry facilities, TV...
Here are what some people who used Stéphanie OLIVIER said about their experiences. Their average rating across all categories is /5.